Las Cruces, NM 88001
Salary: $14.00 to $16.00 /hour
TITLE: Coordinator of Afterschool Ministries
PURPOSE: The Coordinator of Afterschool Ministries is responsible for leading, coordinating, and supporting the afterschool ministries with and to children in accordance with UUMC’s stated purpose: “so that all people may come to know Christ, grow in Christ, and show Christ’s love.”
POSITION SUMMARY: This part-time (15 hours per week) position serves the church by: 1) planning and organizing afterschool programs and ministry opportunities for children, especially those in Kinder -5th grade 2) recruiting, training, supporting, and coordinating lay persons (teachers, volunteers, chaperones, etc.) who are serving in these ministry areas, 3) supervising, training, and evaluating Group Leader Interns and 4) collaborating with other staff, church families, and laity leadership to develop new programs and ministry opportunities in these areas.
Ministry: The Coordinator of Afterschool Ministries will be able to conceptualize, articulate, and carry out his/her work as a ministry of helping children come to know Christ, grow in Christ, and show Christ’s love; this person will support the overall ministry of UUMC by paying attention to living the highest level of moral integrity and by seeking continued growth both spiritually and professionally, and will be a key team player in helping guide the church to fulfill its overall mission.
Knowledge of: elementary education; principles and practices of non-profit organization and volunteer administration.
Skilled in: Organizing and coordinating volunteers and interns in a wide range of ministry activities; communicating in written, oral, and electronic forms; working with various elementary aged groupings; short- and long-range planning.
Ability to: Relate well with people of various ages, backgrounds, interests, and talents; organize effectively for mission and ministry; display emotional and spiritual maturity as well as sound judgement; demonstrate radical hospitality, intentional faith development, and risk-taking mission and service.
Requirement: * State mandated background investigation check and safe sanctuary training must be completed prior to hire/start date
Preferred: * Experience in a wide range of children’s programs, especially with elementary aged children.
- Bachelor’s degree or above in related elementary education field or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Have 24 credit bearing hours of specialized college level course work in elementary education, child development, and/or special education.
- Familiarity with the structure, policies, teaching, and mission of The United Methodist Church.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: * Provide critical staff support for afterschool programs by:
- Researching and implementing age-appropriate curricula/programming for afterschool programs especially in the areas of tutoring, homework assistance and enrichment.
- Communicating & budgeting what resources are needed for afterschool programs.
- Purchasing supplies and equipment for afterschool programs.
- Supervising, training, and evaluating Group Leader interns.
- Recruiting, training, and equipping volunteers.
- Making sure adequate numbers of volunteers/interns are available to provide needed supervision
- Leading small groups in a variety of activities including arts and crafts, physical activities, gardening activities, tutoring, etc.
- Assuring all participants, volunteers, and interns are following safe-practices
- Assuring that Group Leader interns check children in and out of all programs
- Setting up and cleaning areas after use
- Work closely with the pastor, staff, and lay leadership to develop and foster emerging afterschool program areas;
- Perform related duties as required.
Job Type: Part-time hourly (up to 15 hrs. per week)
Contract Period: This position is for the Las Cruces Public Schools (LCPS) school-year calendar (August – May) and does not include summer months.
Note: This position will work and be paid during LCPS breaks (Fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring, and Easter) however, does not require working on holidays followed by UUMC (New Year’s Eve; New Year’s Day; MLK, Jr. Day; President’s Day; Easter Monday; Memorial Day; Independence Day; Labor Day; Thanksgiving Day and following Friday; Christmas Eve; Christmas Day. Since this is a part-time, contract position, holidays are not paid.
Reports to: The Coordinator of Afterschool ministries reports directly to the Senior Pastor, and receives an annual performance evaluation.
Hourly wage: $14-16 per hour (dependent on qualifications and/or experience)
Projected Start Date: January 4th, 2021
Please submit a cover letter, a copy of your resume and 3 references (at least 1 in relation to your work with elementary aged children). Applications that are submitted and do not fulfill these requirements will not be evaluated until all components are received.
Applications can also be submitted to the University UMC office
2000 S. Locust St.
Las Cruces, NM 88001
*Review of applications will begin on (insert date) and continue until the position is filled