UUMC Updates 03-19-2020
Greetings UUMC Family & Friends
Here are your updates from your family at University UMC for Thursday, March 19th 2020
From the desk of Pastor Heike
Dear church family,
Just a note to let you know I am thinking of you.
The God of the universe is walking with us as we try to adjust to the circumstances. He wants us to remember that He is a very present help during times of trouble.
I am grateful for this amazing team in ministry together. Thank you for all your input and engagement as we walk this path together in patience, peace, and kindness.
Lots of blessings coming your way – and let us know how we can help,
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult.” – Psalm 46:1-3 NRS
Updates from your Pastor & Church Leadership
As of Thursday, March 19th the church office is still operating during normal weekday office hours. Church staff are available, but their on-site hours are being limited to tasks that can not be done remotely.
The recent public health order issued by the state of New Mexico allows “places of worship” to continue to function during “normal business hours” (to see the full amended public health order click here. )
This means starting today, the church will be operating with limited weekday building access. This also means if you need to speak with any of the church staff, call first and we will see if your need can be handled remotely. If you need access to the building, again call first to make sure the building is available for that purpose.
- All small groups, committee meetings, and other ministries/missions are able to continue at the discretion of their leaders and as long as they can abide by the following precautions & restrictions.
- No groups larger than 50
- Individuals need to be at least 6 feet apart unless they are from the same household.
- meetings/committees/ministries will need to make arrangements to meet during normal church hours Mon-Thursday 9am-4pm, Friday 9am-12pm, or Sundays from 8:30am-12pm.
- All meeting spaces must be sanitized before and after each meeting and participants must either wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before entering the meeting space.
We are willing, if able, to reassign rooms if you think a larger space will allow your group to continue to function while abiding by the aforementioned precautions. We are trying to do everything in our power to stay open and available while still following the mandates and guidance from local, state, and national government. If your group and/or committee can not conform to these restrictions we do ask that you cancel your scheduled meetings for the time being.
*As a point of information, all door codes for non-essential personnel/groups have been disabled.
As always, we appreciate your grace at this time and we will continue to keep you posted as changes arise.
We want our UUMC family and friends to stay connected and cared for even in these uncertain times. That is why we have instituted “Connection Groups”. Both laity and staff worked hard to compile all the data and assign each household to a Connection Group based on your geographical location. Connection Groups will be led by 1-2 Co-leaders. Some of the things that your connection group will do are…
- Make sure everyone in your household is okay on a regular basis and report back to the church of any needs or other updates.
- Find out what the best means to communicate with your household about church and connection group updates are (i.e phone calls, texts, emails, etc.)
- Ask if you have a prayer request to be put on the prayer chain
- Let you know your church family loves you, cares about you, and will be checking in often.
- Find out if you are able to attend worship services online via Facebook or YouTube and assist you with doing so.
This is just one more way of staying connected with our church family at such a time as this and for the hopeful future ahead.
As of today, March 19th we plan to once again hold all 3 of our normal worship services at 8:30am, 9:45am, & 11am on Sunday, March 22nd. The 9:45am Journey worship service will again be out in the garden for those wanting to get out of the house and attend service, but still wanting to keep their distance. The 11am worship service will again be available to join from the comfort of your own home, but this time we hope to have it available on both Facebook Live and Youtube (for those without a Facebook account).
In order to comply with state mandates of no more than 50 people gathered within a confined space, we encourage as many of you as possible to consider joining us via this online worship service. Just go to our facebook page at
or our Youtube channel at
Most of the feedback we received from our first ever Online Worship Service was very good. We do know there are some areas that we can improve upon, but we are very optimistic that we will only continue to get better.
Small Group Cancellations
As of today, these are the groups that have cancelled their meetings for the remainder of this week. We encourage everyone to check in with your group members and leaders to find out if alternate arrangements have been made (video conference, phone conference, etc.)
- All Al-Anon Support Groups
- AA Group
- Priscilla Circle
- Cross Connections Bible Study (Thursday evening)
- Tae Kwon Do
- Sunday Worship Prep Team
- Youth Group
- All Bell choir rehearsals
Send us your stuff!
Here is a picture from one of our UUMC family, can you see the cross? We want to see how you are spending your time at home. Send us your pictures of how you are experiencing Christ from home or wherever you are this week!
Did you connect yet???
Here is your homework for the rest of this week.
- subscribe to the UUMC e-newsletter,
- follow us on facebook,.
- Sign up to receive text message updates by texting “uumc” to 84576
- check on a neighbor
- pray for 5 people for 5 minutes
- Check out the poppies!