Money received to date: $78,000
Time left in challenge: 8 weeks
- Nearly 50% of the households in our immediate neighborhood are living at or below the poverty line
- Nearly 17% of those old enough to work are currently unemployed
- Only 25% of those 25 and older have a bachelor’s degree or higher
What is the need?
- To provide safe spaces for neighborhood children and youth where they can grow and develop important life skills that will allow them to be healthy contributing members of the community.
- To provide services and opportunities to the families of our neighborhood that will help them in the here and now, but also facilitate self-sufficiency for the future.
- A place that helps our neighbors during times of family crisis and hardship, and in times of joy and celebration.
- By partnering with other neighborhood entities and organizations, such as University Hills Elementary School and New Mexico State University, to understand the needs of our neighborhood and how we can work together to fulfill them.
- By expanding current programs while also developing new ones for neighborhood children and youth, such as recreational sports teams or scouting groups, that will foster a sense of community and provide opportunities for University UMC to mentor the next generation.
- By continuing our current family support service ministries, such as the food pantry and NM Ramp Project, while also developing new ones.
- By developing a set of programs that will give families in our neighborhood the tools and resources they need to get a hand up rather than asking for a hand out.
That is where you and your investment come into play. We currently have the opportunity to raise $200,000 towards the “In the Neighborhood” Initiative. Thanks to the Garrey E. and Katherine T. Carruthers Revocable Family Trust, which has committed up to $100,000 in matching funds, contributions made by the people of University UMC and other community partners will be matched, dollar for dollar, up to $100,000 and invested in the “In the Neighborhood” Endowment Fund.
Earnings from the “In the Neighborhood” endowment fund will be used to support current University UMC ministries in the areas of children & youth sports, family support services (food pantry, community garden, & the NM Ramp Project), and for the development and implementation of new programs based on the needs of our neighborhood and its families.
*Upon successful completion (raising the full $100,000) of the In the Neighborhood campaign by October 31st, the church will receive an extra $10,000 incentive from the Carruthers family trust to use at its discretion for the In the Neighborhood Initiative (ITNI).
We invite you to join us and make an investment
“In the Neighborhood” today!
*All contributions to the “In the Neighborhood” Initiative can be made to University UMC either by check, cash, or online at
To be matched, contributions must be notated with the designation
“In the Neighborhood” and made before Oct. 31st, 2020
To make arrangements for a special contribution (i.e IRA dispersal, wire transfer, gift of stock, etc.) please contact Kate Lewis in the church office; firstname.lastname@example.org